The Motto — "Unto the Last"
Eklavya Nyasa decided to focus its attention on the Right of Education. Many surveys were conducted in the area where the quality of life was not at all conducive to child development. The outcome was shocking and sad. There were children who had never been to school, children who were forced to drop out of the education system and a consequent emergence of child labor.
To fight this menace, Eklavya Nyasa started with a ‘Non Formal Education Centre’. Under this scheme of ‘Non Formal Education System’ regular school is run for the children who wish to appear for SSC examination. Children are supported with all the essential material i.e. stationary, text books, notebooks etc. Renowned teachers from various fields come regularly to teach them various subjects. Eklavya Nyasa also assists those children for their higher education. Non formal Education scheme welcomes the children who have never entered the school. This scheme is called as ‘Setu Shala’ (Bridge School).
Another dimension of this problem touches the menace of child labor. Taking into consideration the serious consequences on the lives of these children, Eklavya Nyasa runs a residential project in collaboration with Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC). At present we have 55 students with us. The project is called as ‘Gharata’ (Nest). We would like to mention here that not only food, clothing and shelter are provided here, but also every factor conducive to their personality development is taken care of.
Cognizant foundation has donated a mobile van to Eklavya Nyasa. We are a ‘school on wheels’. As the name implies the van goes about places and searches for children who are in need of education. This project requires running expenditure which includes the cost of fuel and the salary of the driver.
To run activities like Setu Shala, Gharata, Sampurna Aahar Yojana, Paripurna Abhivruddhi, Arogya Kendra, Khelghar etc. we need donations. You can pay for some of the expenses to support us and become a part of this noble work.
You can help EN by:
- Being a Sponsor
- Donating a fixed amount for arranging prizes for various competitions or achievements
- Spending some of your precious time with the children. We would love to have experts from various fields to spend some of their precious time with these children. We especially urge counselors, doctors, teachers, health instructors, educationists and artists to come forward and be a part of these children's lives.
- For most of us a festival means time for joy, time to spend with family. Unfortunately, for CSWs this is a peak ‘business’ time, and they ignore their children completely. Attendance at the school is highest during festivals because mothers don’t want to have the kids at home. We need volunteers during these times to take the kids out. Don’t you think the kids should enjoy the festivals too?
- English and Maths are two subjects where we need extra help in teaching. Also, the kids live in bad neighbourhoods and use foul language without knowing it. They also suffer from lack of expression. Volunteers who can spend some time to help us address these issues are most welcome!
- Be a surrogate father/mother to a child. The children love it a lot if someone comes to meet them. They feel special and look forward to it.